Friday, October 23, 2009

Old Time Cookies

During the last couple of weeks baking has been the red headed step child; in favor of costume making. I recently finished my "Queen of Hearts" costume, next is Karlie's "Geisha Girl" costume, then Victoria's "Alice in Wonderland," and then an 80's rocker skirt. Wish me luck.

I was able to find some time to make some of my Grandma's cookie recipes. These cookies remind me of baking with my Grandma when I was little. This is the table my Mom and I set up for my Grandma's funeral service.




Cherry Winks



2 1/2 cups flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. soda
1 t. salt

Mix the above ingredients together, set aside.

3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 T. milk
1 t. vanilla

Blend the butter and sugar, add eggs and beat well. Stir in milk and vanilla.

1 cup chopped nuts (I used pecans)
1 cup chopped dates (I know, I know, but try it, they are a yummy addition)
1/3 cup maraschino cherries (fine chopped)

Add the above ingredients, plus the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. Mix well.

18 maraschino cherries (quartered)
2/3 cup crushed corn flakes

Shape 1 t. of dough into balls and roll in the corn flakes. Place on greased cookie sheet. Top each cookie with a 1/4 maraschino cherry.

Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.



Golden Carrot Cookies

Mix together the following ingredients:

1 1/2 cup shortening
1 cup + 2 T. sugar
1 1/2 cup mashed cooked carrots
3 eggs

Combine the following, and then add to the wet mixture:

3 cups of flour
3 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1 cup shredded coconut
1 t. vanilla
1 t. lemon zest

Drop on greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. Touch, if no imprint remains the cookies are done.

Frost/glaze with Orange-Butter icing.

Orange-Butter Icing

1/3 cup soft butter
3 cup confectioners sugar
1 1/2 T. orange zest
3 T. orange juice

Mix all together. Put on hot cookies for a glaze, or on cold cookies for a frosting.

I hope you enjoy both of these, they are two of my all time favorites

0 comments:

Post a Comment